Sunday, April 3, 2011

Review of Bend Sinister's 10mm terrain

Si at Bend Sinister has a small range of 10mm resin Southern European buildings. They are reasonably priced between £2.50 and £6.00. I really like the idea of a windmill in my games. I ordered one of each to see how they turn out.

They were very clean castings with almost no flash. The only piece that had any was the windmill sails in the middle, which was easily removed. There were virtually no bubbles on the castings.

The bases were reasonably flat and just needed a quick sand to even them out.

Detail is very crisp on the moulds, with some nice touches especially  on the windmill which is nicely textured. The houses are very smooth and new looking. I needed to use a thickish paint to give a bit of texture. I supposed I could have roughed up their appearance before painting but wanted to see how they turned out as is. I think I will need to add some vegetation texturing to break up the very pristine lines of the building.

Sizing is not too bad for 10mm and can be used with larger man scale games (1:20 I use) without looking too big.

Chapel and Windmill

Town houses

Some bonus walls
I undercoated them with some black spray paint, then painted them with some acrylic house paints.  I use sample pots from the mis-tint pile at my local hardware. These are often the wrong shade and very cheap for an reasonable sized pot. The come in all kinds of colours that are suitable for buildings and terrain. Building up from dark to light in drybrushed layers can give some nice effects on textured surfaces. The smooth walls took a little more work, which I am not that happy with. I can always repaint.



The wood on the sails is a bit dark, I'll probably drybrush it light at some stage.

Overall I think they are excellent value and really well made. The windmill is a winner and adds a nice touch to the table. Si needs to be encouraged to expand his work to more ranges, especially the Western European.

No comments:

Post a Comment